Nothing beats starting the day with a nourishing meal, one you can wrap yourself around and completely savour. This vegan and gluten free nut muesli fits the bill!
I have recently jumped on the “no sugar” bandwagon (again! When will I learn?) in an attempt to reduce inflammation in my skin so this is my favourite breakfast right now. It’s easily portable for those mornings when I leave the house early and need breakfast in a couple of hours.. if I last that long – I love this stuff!
If gluten and sugar aren’t a problem, feel free to bulk up this recipe with a few cups of oats and some dried fruit.
- 3 cups nuts, choose your favourites
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoon flax seeds
- Generous sprinkle of sesame and chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
~ roughly chop the nuts and add to a pan with melted coconut oil. On a medium heat, stir gently – you don’t want to burn the nuts. Add cinnamon, coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds and mix through. Remove from heat and add flax seeds, sesame and chia. * flax seeds become toxic when heated, make sure you add them last.
Leave mixture to cool then store in an airtight jar.
Try it like this:
- Add coconut yoghurt and organic blueberries. I doubt they had such amazing things as coconut yoghurt in the stone age but hey, when in Rome..
- If you like a treat first thing (or any time of the day) then add some cacao powder and nibs to the nut muesli, serve some vanilla bean paste and coconut yoghurt.
- Mix through the pulp of a fresh passionfruit, some papaya, a squeeze of lemon and coconut yoghurt.
- I keep a jar in my bag for snacks
- If you prefer a less crunch mix, leave out the coconut oil and don’t toast the mix. You could add almond meal as well.
Like the look of this recipe? See more here or download my food to live for recipe ebook – it’s free when you join my mailing list.